Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What would Paula say?


This post is dedicated to the quintessential Paula Begoun, the original Cosmetic Cop, author of the bestselling books “Don’t go to the cosmetic counter without me’ & ‘The Beauty Bible’.

So, here’s why I consider her cool.

By her own admission, when she was 25, she read the ingredient on a skin-care product that she was using, and the 4th ingredient was acetone. That’s nail polish remover! This started her on a path of rigorous research through which she put together a skin care routine that completely transformed her skin. By 1995, she had her own skin-care line, Paula’s Choice.

A perfect example of a ‘happily ever after’ story.  Isn't it?

I was inspired!

It kick-started me on a journey of self-awareness. I started reading labels. I started to question brands, their philosophy, my own skin and its needs. There was so much to un-learn and re-learn.

You know what’s most admirable about Paula?

She is the only cosmetic company in the world who recommends other brands and products besides her own. If you visit her website, you will find expert reviews of all brands. That’s so refreshing in a world full of insecurities.

Today, I rarely ever purchase a product without first checking its review on www.paulaschoice.com


Let me give you a small example.

Growing up, I absolutely lusted after Crème De La Mer. Who hasn’t, right? This Rolls Royce of creams has enjoyed a cult status for decades among the rich and famous. There are beauty products, then, there is a pinnacle and then there is La Mer, up there, with the stars.

Today, I have the resources to purchase one but do I want to? The answer is NO. It’s just too rich for my skin. Yes, I said it. The thing is, I have begun to understand what my skin wants and it certainly isn’t La Mer. 

I am still taking baby steps, but better late than never. A few lessons I've learned:
  • We all love delicious smells. But when it comes to your skin, fragrance-free is the way to go.
  • Exfoliate and, do it right. Throw away those gritty exfoliants and take the AHA & BHA route.
  • Eye creams are the biggest marketing ploy the cosmetic industry has pulled on us. What’s good for the face is good for the eye. Period.
  • I am beginning to get a sense of my skin and I understand that it evolves with weather, age, diet, menstrual cycle and other internal and external factors.
  • Expensive does not necessarily translate into a better product. There are good and bad products in all price ranges.

So, you want brilliant skin? Work for it, girl. Take it out on a date and figure out what makes it tick. Who knows, you might just end up with a soul mate :)

Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment